A friendly reminder.......... Please let me know if you are going to join us.......
Our next field trip will be on Saturday, October 25, 2014 where we will head to the Texas Renaissance Festival (Renfest) located in Plantersville, Texas. All Hallow’s Eve is the theme for the weekend.
You can find all the information you ever wanted to know about Renfest on their website at www.texrenfest.com including driving directions, all park information, times, ticket costs and FAQ’s.
The Park opens at 9:00 AM and closes at 8:00 PM and the plans are to meet in front at the main gate before it opens, so it will require an early start. There are usually some members who would like to share a ride. Let me know so we can try to team you up with someone. Once we get the names of who are going we can put out a request for you.
We will split up into small groups or pairs at the festival. Most members have people they feel comfortable shooting with and spending the day walking to different activities and shows. It seems to work well that way. We will decide on that when we meet at the gate.
Tickets are $27.00 at the gate and discount tickets can be purchased online or in advance at Walgreen's.
I would strongly advise wearing comfortable walking shoes and clothes. I will watch the weather forecast as the month progresses; it could be cool, warm, hot, wet, you know Texas weather. Needless to say this is a model rich environment with lots of color and action. Most performers and attendees (who tend to dress for the occasion) are more than happy to pose for you.
A few tips for photography (courtesy of Doug Haass):
- The sun can overwhelm your shot when it's overhead. Don't force your subject to squint into it because you need light on their face. Consider moving them into open shade where you can take advantage of the ambient light. If it's overcast that day, that will not be a problem.
- Worse case scenario: use your on camera flash to provide fill if you cannot get them out of the sun. It will help with the dark shadow that will develop from the harsh overhead sun. Use your flash exposure compensation to adjust the fill so you don't overwhelm the subject. You just need some fill so their face isn't in shadow.
- Best case scenario: use off camera flash for fill. It looks more natural and is easier to control where it's placed.
- If you are focused on the individual only; get some separation from the background and shoot at wider apertures; such as F2.8 to F5.6. Don't place them right against a tree or plant, pull them away several feet and use it as a backdrop.
- Watch for vendor's poles, light poles and such sticking out of their heads. Reposition them or yourself to remove the distracting elements from the photo.
- Don't shoot straight on. Get them to turn to the side some and maybe tilt their head towards the leading shoulder.
- Don't just focus on people. There are many colorful objects for sale and on display. Get in close and capture color combos or color schemes of inanimate objects.
- Play with different shutter speeds. Try slowing things down and capture the swirl of the dancers' costumes. Try panning action sequences, keeping the subject's face in focus, but turning everything around it a blur of motion.
- Have fun with it and don't be afraid to ask to take someone's photo. The worst thing to happen is they say no. I've only had it happen once and lived to talk about it.
- If you want to shoot small children, ask their parent(s) if it's okay. Let them know you are on a club field trip.
- Get their email so you can send a photo to them.
- You can go here www.bayareaphotoclub.org/gallery/v/activities/octoberfield+trip/and here www.bayareaphotoclub.org/gallery/v/activities/Nov2010FieldTrip/ to see some examples of photos taken over the last few years.
More specific information will be sent out via BAPC Yahoo Groups when we get a better idea of who is going. Please email Kelly Myers at firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to attend. This will allow us to get a list of people to look for at the front gate. Also, in your email please provide us with your cell phone number in case we need to contact each other while at the park.
We hope to see you there!
Field Trip Coordinator
|PHOTOGRAPHER||TITLE||Total Points||Award||Total Assgnmt|
|Deep Space 9||Stewart, Will||20||Gold||180|
|Mothers Hand||Myers, Kelly||19||Gold||152|
|The Mystic||Armer, Larry||17||Silver||153|
|Tools of the trade||Patrick, Larry||20||Silver||120|
|Hand Jive||Myers, Kelly||18||Silver||108|
|Pier @ Sunrise||Armer, Barry||22.5||Gold|
|Golf Cart||Armer, Barry||18||Silver|
|Amazing Two Headed Zebra||Chance, Jane||16||Bronze|
|Gray Crowned Cranes (tanzzia)||Chance, Jane||16||Bronze|
Bay Area Photo Club
2015 Assignments and Open Entries
Here is the list of Honors Night assignments for 2015. As always assignment images must be shot during the 3 months preceding the Honors Night monthly meeting that they are listed for.
February Out of Context
April Environmental Portrait
Also remember that in 2015 we will be scoring the Open entries as well and awarding a prize at the end of the year.
As we announced in our meeting in August, we are looking to expand our pool of judges next year. There are no specific qualifications except that you would need to go through a process of learning the judging criteria and Honors Night protocols. Following that you will want to sit in on 1 or 2 sessions judging off the record. Once you are comfortable, you can join the action.
Let me know if you are interested in judging. We need the help.
|Stewart, Al||Black Waterbird||20||Gold|
|Schuenke, Steve||Oak Alley||19.5||Silver|
|Schuenke, Steve||A Walk on the Beach||18||Silver|
|PHOTOGRAPHER||TITLE||Total Points||Award||Total Assgnmt|
|Patrick, Larry||Houston Wild Life!||23||Gold||184|
|Stewart, Will||Two of a kind||21||Gold||168|
|Luna, Bruce||Slicked Up and Ready To Go||17||Silver||119|
|Soriano, Edwin||The Congregation||18||Silver||108|
|Chance, Jane||Cheetah In The Straw||17||Silver||102|
|Clayton, John||Elephant Swimming||15||Bronze||105|
|Armer, Larry||Jake & Tom||16||Bronze||96|
|Clayton, John||Rhino Drinking||14||Bronze||84|
|Armer, Larry||Velvet Crown||14||Bronze||84|
|Luna, Bruce||Rocky Mountain Grouse||13||Bronze||78|